Monday, September 22, 2008

To Meat or not to Meat, that is the question

Vegetarianism.

Ick.

I seem to have some issues with words that end in "ism". I'll have to do some self forgiveness on that... but at this moment I'm communicating about my take on eating meat vs. not eating meat.

My perspective is that we are all one... everything... and I mean EVERYTHING. The issue comes with the "mind" that "thinks" itself separate from everything, and in doing so is able to "define" itself by comparison.

That said... the same applies to the foods I eat. For the moment, I am required to sustain myself with food. Maybe one day human beings will discover a method of living that does not require us to consume anything... but at this moment I must eat.

If indeed I must eat, then I appreciate the food, which is ME, supporting me in this moment by providing nourishment to my body. I do this regardless of whether or not any meat is in the meal I am eating, because I am really just eating MYSELF... as my perspective is still that we are all one. And so I eat in gratefulness of myself supporting myself.

However... I now avoid eating meat whenever it is possible. I do not stop eating meat altogether because at the moment I still have to have some now and then just to balance things out in my body as it adjusts to the new diet.

I am NOT doing this for health reasons. I am NOT doing this because it shows what a "green" person I am.

I do this because the meat comes from an animal expression... and I consider that animal expression to be equal and one with me. To eat the meat, the animal must die... it's life must end and usually the animal goes through abuse, torture, and excruciating physical pain if the meat is "processed" in a plant, a slaugherhouse, or a facility (as most of it is).

And everytime I spend money on such meat, I am tacitly condoning the abuse of the animals from which the meat comes. And for THAT reason I avoid meat as much as possible without doing damage to my own health, until I am able to totally go without meat.

Now... to make good on my word...

I forgive myself that I have allowed myself to judge words ending in "ism".

I forgive myself that I have allowed myself to portray "ism" words as related to false paradigms.

I forgive myself that I have allowed myself to judge "ism" words as being related to stupid beliefs.

I forgive myself that I have not allowed myself to see that the words themselves are innocent and that it is the people who use them that give me the "bad" impression.

1 comment:

  1. The sufix -ism has been used since Greek times to refer to doctrines and systems.
    Yeah, we all should have issues with words ending in -ism

    Peace

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis